Monday, September 11, 2006

Something about my hair

When I was young, I didnt really care much about my hair. I always prefer to keep it short. Its neat, its tidy. Well, at least this short hair part came after my 1st hairstyle of Extreme Left Handside Hair Parting.

The 1st time when I decided to do some "changes" to my hair was when I reached 12 years old. The memories still haunt me till now. I permed my hair for the 1st time; and only time. I was nicknamed "Samosa Hair" for the rest of my 12 years old.

Eventually my hair manage to straighten back to its usual style just before I entered my new seondary school and did it make me feel glad. I wouldnt want to scare the shit impress my new classmates on my 1st day of school. Kept my hair short and neat again for 1 year before I again, backside itchy decided to do some changes to it.

Left my hair to grow till those long & flowy type cause it was the In-Thing then. I had a centre parting and the fact that I was born with a 美人尖 (my hair had a M shape infront) helped much in keeping my parting neat. Note that though it was called 美人尖, I was not in anyway classified as pretty.

It would be more insulting than calling me cute (Ugly but adorable).

My hair then was the longest I had till even today. But soon, it was getting kind of irritating. Fucking irritating. Irritating as in whenever I tilt my head infront a bit, my fringe would fall off and irritate me when I am already irritated enough.

The final blow came one fine day when I was eating laksa. Apparently my fringe got hungry too and decided to dip itself into the laksa that I was eating.

I had enough. I thought to myself.

So Mr Me With Long & Flowy Hair lasted for only 2 years++. Cut it shortly after my 'O' Levels.

Watching my hair being cut off by the hair dresser was painful. Though I must admit they are irrtating, but still they have been with me for 2 years++.

So the old me appeared, the old me with short hair. I liked it that way. Playing soccer wasnt a hassle and I could even skip the morning bath without looking like Valderrama when I go to Poly.

From then on, I make it a point to visit my barber on a monthly basis. Short hair has a price to pay too. When it gets long, I look like a walking human with lion's mane. Therefore in order for ladies at Orchard Road not to eeeek at me, I had to maintain it monthly. Though in actual fact they already eeeek at me even if I cut my hair.

When I entered army, I was the one of those few who had no need to shave my head, cause as it is, it is already short enough :)

Hairstyle in army is the typical gong-gong-toot-toot-short-short type. So no need to elaborate much on that.

After I left army, I actually maintained my gong-gong-toot-toot-short-short type hair style. My friends and once-certain-special-someone kept complaining on how toot my hair looks and keep demanding suggesting on new hair styles I should adopt.

I paid no attention cause I thought I look cool. Tsk.
But least it was really a hassle-free hairstyle. And most importantly is I didnt have to share my laksa with my fringe. I continue visiting the barber on a monthly basis.

Somehow or rather, 6 months after I ORD(dec 05), I eventually had another urge to change my hairstyle again. It was when I started growing my hair. Of course not to the extent of being Mr Me With Long & Flowy Hair, but perhaps something shorter than it.

So now here I am blogging away with my longer hair. It has been 3 months since I visited the barber. One thing is because I am in Australia and cutting of hair here is really expensive. But the main thing is cause I have seen friends who visited the barber here.

They walk in with nice stylish hair but come out looking as if they are growing Christmas Tree on their head. How not to scared?

I believe one fine day which is nor far away, I will still visit the barber here cause my hair is getting kind of irritating. But not so soon, I shall wait a while more. If not, I may wait till I go back to Singapore for holidays in 3 months time.

But can my hair wait till then? I shall see. Tsk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Yours Sincerely" I would like to thank you for the lovely postcard you sent! U brought excitement to my family yesterday...esp. to my mum though the card is nt for her...she told mi abt it before I even stepped into the house...ya u see its such a miracle tht u did such things hehe! And I am glad u didnt sign off as "你的爸爸" cos I tink my dad wont be very pleased. By the way I decide to forgive you for all the nasty things you said abt mi on account of the card lol...

Anonymous said...

wahahaha. u are welcome. glad that the post card bought much excitement to ur lovely home. and dont worry, i didnt have the slighted thought of signing of as "Ni De Pa Pa". Though i would if it wasnt a post card but a COVERED up letter ;)