Tuesday, October 31, 2006

My Name

My name is Hong Ziqiang, 洪子强。孩子的子,强壮的强。

Frankly speaking, I am proud of my name. I used to hate my name cause it doesn't have a ring to it. But over the years, as I grew older, I make it a point to like what my parents have named me.

Thats why till now, I didn't adopt any ang moh name.

Well not as if I didnt try adopting one before. But I just prefer my chinese name in the end. It just sounds weird hearing people calling me other than my chinese name. Think its an infactuation I grew to have over my name.

That's why whenever people ask me my chinese name, I will say proudly my name is 洪子强。孩子的子,强壮的强。

Know why I emphasize on saying each individual characters of my name?

Cause 9 out of 10 people on hearing my name for the first time will still call me Zhiqiang (志强).
I absolutely hate that. I dont know why. But I prefer insist people call me by the right pronounciation.

However not adopting any ang moh names do have its con too. For example, over my past 23 years, not one single non-chinese person has ever, AND I mean ever pronounce my name correctly.

My malay friends call me Jiqiang. What the fuck? I am not Chicken Strong.

Ang moh people call my name Zee Kueng. Even worse. I am not some ang ku kway.

Everytime they call me wrongly, deep inside my heart I will always be cursing "Ji your l*nji*o lah".

So in the end, I ask them to call me Hong. Easy and idiot proof. At least its one name which they have almost no problem pronounciating.

I just hate it when people mispronounced my name. Thats the bond and pride I have over my name.

我的名字是洪子强。孩子的子,强壮的强。

Alternatively, you can call me 强爷 :)

2 comments:

Old Beng said...

小强
你好,me also 洪
you can call me 洪先生
or 老明
or 明老

Anonymous said...

哈哈。你也姓洪?那你一定是一个大好人。

因为姓洪的都是一样的。哈哈哈